Learn more about us debt.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

President Barack Obama's Gun Speech

As you all know, yesterday Obama had a Press Conference to talk about his gun control proposals and issues. There was something in this speech that without a doubt, made me extremely furious. If you didn't have the time to watch it or if you haven't heard about it, let me fill you in. As you probably know, the White House has received thousands of letters pertaining to the Sandy Hook massacre and gun control issues. President Obama picked 4 of these letters that just happened to be written by 3rd graders and he also invited these 4 young children to sit behind him during the speech. He then introduced the 4 children and one by one, read their letters. One child, whose name was Hinna, wrote, "I feel terrible for the parents who lost their children. I love my country, and I want everybody to be happy and safe."

Now, I have a serious problem with this. I believe that we should keep our children as innocent as possible for as long as possible. Some of you might think otherwise, and that's your opinion. You may say, well if we expose them to this violence and our cruel worlds ways early, they may have a better understanding of life as they get older. I completely disagree! Children's minds at this age are very fragile, easily influenced and aren't supposed to be exposed to violence, drugs, abuse, etc. For instance, take a child that was abused, or observed abusive behavior (violence). This child most likely is going to grow up thinking that this is normal and may be involved in an abusive relationship or possibly be prosecuted for Assault charges. Come on Obama, it's bad enough that these children have to witness and hear about these kinds of massacres. You don't have to further expose them to it. If you were trying to make a point and I don't know what point you were trying to make? You could have just read these letters without the children being present. Which brings me to another point. I'm pretty sure that these children didn't comprehend at least 75% of the nonsense that was taking place at this speech and if they did, they surely don't have the knowledge to understand if these are valid arguments. I, myself, believe that these children are now going to assume that just because the president says something, it has to be the right thing to do. 

What are your views on this topic? Do you think President Obama was out of line here? Do you think it was a huge guilt trip to further influence us about gun control? Am I out of line here?

Questions, comments, and arguments welcome.

Here is a link for President Obama's gun speech
Obama's Gun Speech


No comments:

Post a Comment